All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, January 12, 2017

January and a farro and bean soup



What a month.  What a month - can I just fill up this page with those words? It's only the 12th and I feel like burying my head under a very large pillow. So.  The election .  The freezing cold here in Minnesota.  The snow.  The post election.  The cold wind.




There were a few days when I just didn't go out - and the larder was emptying fast.  I had been scrolling for a new soup recipe and found one from Williams-Sonoma - and it called for farro, which I just happened to have on hand.  And beans, also on hand.  I had fresh tomatoes, but no canned, kale but no spinach, so it really turned into a different soup than the one pictured.  I'll make this again, but with those diced, canned tomatoes with basil and lovely juices.   I have mixed feelings about the farro, chewy and different, but not really OHMYGOSH good.  It was a little bland for my taste, so I added more dried basil and tarragon, a nice little perkiness to the soup.  I also think those nice plump chicken and herb sausages would be good - in January, any sausage is welcome, don't you think?

Stay warm and read a book - or three, or ten!  And be kind to yourself and others.




                          Take care, and enjoy winter, wherever you are!                              



2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

It looks wonderful and comforting to me:)
All the best Katrina..

katrina said...

Thank you, Monique -! But I would much rather be taking long walks in the woods and fields and snow to soothe my soul:) I often look at your delightful photos of family and country calm and sigh.