All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

one jar of strawberry jam (recipe)






Oh, my, it is hot today - temperature heading to the 90's - not exactly jam-making weather, but when you're out of fresh jam, nothing gets in your way, right?  This is my quick recipe for a small amount of strawberry jam, which is pretty much the only jam I eat.  It takes maybe half an hour, start to finish.


Choose either a jam or jelly jar or glass that is somewhat heat proof (the jam will be poured into the jar/glass while still very hot), wash it well, dry, then pour hot water in halfway up the jar.  This is to temper the jar a little before you fill it with hot jam.  Set aside.

You will need:

1 heaping cup hulled and sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar




Cut up clean strawberries into a one cup measure, then place berries in a saucepan on medium heat.  Cook them for 10 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon all the while, then add the lemon juice and the sugar. If you want a little zing, you can add a few slices of ginger root, which I remove just before putting the jam in the jar.

Continue to stir for another 15 minutes or so, checking to see if the mixture is jelling.  You can use a candy thermometer , but it's such a small amount it's not always accurate.  I just stir, lift the spoon up sideways, and check the dripping jam - which coats the spoon and thickens very quickly.  If it seems watery, cook a little longer, but keep stirring and checking.

Pour the hot water out of the jar, and place a metal spoon in the jar or glass - an old wives tale is that it has to be silver, so who am I to challenge that?  

Scrape the jam into the glass or jar and set aside to cool.  Once cooled, you can either screw on a lid or cover with plastic wrap, if it's a glass.  Place in fridge and you're done!




Four days later - time to make another jar!


In the past, I've added cinnamon sticks, orange peel, slivers of ginger root, herbs from the garden (lemon balm and lemon verbena) - and sometimes just a handful or raspberries found on a walk.  Just don't add too much liquid/juice to the mixture or it won't jell.

Enjoy - and stay cool!

PS/  I'm a grandmother again!  A big welcome to Madelyn Skye, born 20 July in New Hampshire!  



One year ago :  Jamie's red pepper pasta sauce with lemon, parsley, and ham
Two years ago:  Fresh lemon scones with drizzle frosting

4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I make just a few jars at a time too..and after making them..I do it the French way..I turn the jars upside down..let set..refrigerate.
I make D Lebovitz's strawberry one(all the time now)but yours would be great too!Especially w/ the spoon:)
And Christine Ferber's Wild Blueberry one..

I like that DL's as sits and macerates..I like that CF's..simmers..THEN macerates..THEN cooks..

Madelyn Skye?
Be still my ♥
Lucky you..I would love a new baby in the family..

katrina said...

Oh, my, Nana! Clearly I have lots of jam research to explore, thanks to you! You know how it is - you use the old tried and true until somebody hands you a new kind of jam (with recipe) to try.

I am so longing to see Madelyn, who is in New Hampshire, along with her brother, Max - still looking for a little place near them, send out the good vibes from one grandma to another!

La Table De Nana said...

Done :) You courageous nana you!!There MUST be a nest somewhere:) There IS.

katrina said...

I'm sure there is, Monique! Our nana karma is strong - and determined:)