All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, December 14, 2015

winter detox soup



Colds and strep have been cycling around the family for weeks, and today when my daughter asked for a spicy green soup for her third bout with strep, I reached for all those familiar herbs and spices we use so often in winter:  fresh ginger root, garlic, thyme (but then, I put thyme in EVERYTHING), sea salt, and dill.  Sometimes a few splashes of hot sauce find their way into a soup, but not today.

We always have bags and bunches of kale and arugula, scallions and potatoes, onions and frozen stocks, but lacking a vegetarian stock, I used the seasoned vegetable base she had from Better than Bouillon, then added a little chicken stock after I ladled out her portion.

SO good!  On my second cup as I look out the window at the freezing sleet blanketing the sidewalk, happy to be warm and inside today, then a smile as I see Stuart Little at the top of the Christmas tree in his wee little canoe - and far from the reaches of two year old Noah.  



winter detox soup

2 heaping cups of russet or red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 large peeled garlic clove, cut in half
several sliced scallions, greens included
a small chunk (about an inch) of fresh ginger, unpeeled

Place the potatoes, onion, thyme, garlic, scallions, and ginger in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a low boil and cook until the potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.

When potatoes are soft, remove pot from heat and add:

a large tablespoon Better than Bouillon vegetable paste or chicken base
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
kosher salt to taste- I added two little pinches
2 handfuls of arugula.  If they have stiff stems, remove them before tossing into the pot.
2 large handfuls of packaged kale - mine was already de-stemmed and torn
1 teaspoon dried dill

Cook until the greens are soft, then puree in a blender, adding more stock or water if it seems too thick.  Taste carefully before serving.  
Enjoy - and stay healthy!







5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I remember Staurt:)
Still the nasties hanging about..hope everyone feels 100% soon..what a holiday season here Katrina.Grey dull and mild and snowless:(

La Table De Nana said...

That would be Stuart.

katrina said...

Thank you Nana - I sure hope there's an end in sight to these merry-go-rounds - except they're not so merry for those stricken......
Oh, hope you have a nice fluffy (and long) snowstorm so you can feel cozy and Christmasy. Actually, I hope we get the same, I do love snow.

Anonymous said...

Made this soup for lunch today, minus the herbs I didn't have on hand - wonderful! I'm looking forward to the ample left overs later in the week.

Thanks for sharing,

Ceci

katrina said...

Ceci - thanks for your feedback - but the herbs and spices give it an extra kick! Delighted you liked!