All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January snow and quick mushroom soup





Yesterday we had the most beautiful snowstorm all day, a foot of light, fluffy snow easy to shovel - but so much!  Had it been heavier snow, we might have lost power, but the lights stayed on, and the heat hummed and all was well.

Instead of hot chocolate or more coffee, I made one of my favorite winter soups - quick, earthy, and warming mushroom soup with thyme.  It's a soup I never tire of in the winter and it couldn't be easier to make.


Quick Mushroom Soup

This is for just one cup, but it is easily multiplied.  You can also make this vegetarian by using vegetable stock, but I prefer the chicken stock.

1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon thyme (I love thyme!)
1 cup hot chicken stock
1 tablespoon or so of sliced scallion greens
freshly ground pepper or a dash of hot sauce

Saute the mushrooms in the butter until golden and toasty.  Add the hot stock, the thyme, the scallions, and the pepper and stir.

Remove from heat and scrape into a blender and puree on high.
Pour into a cup and stir in a dash of hot sauce.  Enjoy !



6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Storybook setting:)
I need thyme w/ mushroom soup:)
Making a salad for lunch:)

katrina said...

Nana - it needs your green thumb! The soil here is not very good, as so many herbs and flowers have failed. You do need thyme and mushroom soup! It's winter, and we need warming up! Did you get the snow?

Barb said...

I love mushroom soup,- I must try too!

Is this your home? It's so charming and such a pretty color - lovely!!

katrina said...

Oh, how wonderful that you are also a mushroom fan, Barb! I promise you it will become a favorite. Yes, I've rented this house for ....7 years now. An old Cape, much like my home on the Cape, with lots of quirks and a beautiful modern kitchen with a soaring ceiling. The best kitchen I've ever had the pleasure of working in!

La Table De Nana said...

No snow..maybe tomorrow afternoon some..
Our winter is different this year..worried about my first little garlic harvest..not much snow and frigid frigid..
I bet Azaleas..and Rhodies would be great there..perhaps?

katrina said...

No snow, Nana? That's a worry - did you try covering the ground with straw?
Love that idea of azaleas & Rhodies - I have one azalea that is doing well in a patch of comfrey and sorrel . I think my little front yard used to be the road in the old days - you simply cannot get a shovel into the cinder-y earth, if it IS earth.