All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

roasted strawberries with oats and brown sugar topping









I woke up this morning just after a summer rainstorm had passed through  -  the morning breeze was cool and fresh :  perfect weather for this idea I had for a warm strawberry breakfast.

The organic strawberries I've been getting lately have been so sweet, so ruby-hued, so essentially strawberry that I've been eating them all day.  But still, the thought of roasting or baking intrigued me.  Not a cobbler, really, but just a granola sprinkle of oats and butter, brown sugar and lemon zest.  Perfect for this glorious morning, I thought.  

As the strawberries were bubbling in the oven, I had the sudden thought of using almond meal along with the oats,  but of course, it was too late (never mind that I didn't actually HAVE almond meal). If anyone has used almond meal, I hope you'll let me know if you think that's a good idea and I'll zip off to the grocery store to stock up. 

To make two servings:
Preheat oven to 350F.


Two cups loosely packed whole medium sized strawberries
zest of half a lemon
a few drops of lemon juice squeezed over the berries

1/3 cup whole rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
pinch or two of kosher salt.


Trim the berries and cut in half before adding to a small (I used a 5 1/2 inch by 4 inch by 2 inch (height) ovenproof ceramic casserole dish.  Grate the zest over the berries, then squeeze some lemon juice over the berries.

Add the oats, brown sugar, butter and salt to a food processor and whizz briefly, until the mixture is mostly free of whole oats and well incorporated.

Sprinkle the topping on the berries and roast uncovered in the oven for 25 minutes.

Remove and let cool a bit before serving.  Creme fraiche or sour cream is always nice if you have it.  There's a lovely intensity to the berries that is very different from eating them fresh.

As a passionate collector of textiles and linens, I found this tea towel in a thrift shop, embroidered with "BP" in red thread.  So far, I'm stumped beyond "B is for beautiful".

*****




Yesterday I came home to a lovely package of fresh herbs on the front step:  thyme, tarragon, oregano, and sage leaves, all now hanging from a rafter for drying, and two little cups of thyme plants - heaven.  Many thanks to my friend Pamela - I love them!










7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Beautiful pabulum:-) apparently meaning food:-) what a find!
What a sweet thing to do..leaving herbs at the door..love that..
This berry dish looks great..instead of almond meal..I might add cinnamon:-)

katrina said...

I thought of that, Nana, but decided it might be too strong. Almond anything I adore...thank you, happy you liked!

katrina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
diary of a tomato said...

Yes, please, and especially for breakfast!

katrina said...

Yes, indeed, Diary ! I'll obviously have to make another batch (double batch?) - since there was not even half a teaspoon left yesterday.

Barb said...

Fresh sweet strawberries are such a wonderful treat - enjoy them any way you possibly can!

And how nice of your friend to give you those herbs.

I planted some basil but something (?) just chewed up the leaves In record time and the leaves turned crispy & brown - and not from lack of watering. It's a puzzle but I'm going to try again.

katrina said...

Apologies, Barb - I was out of town so just saw your message. That is weird! Some of my basil is not doing as well in one location, but the others are fine. No idea what is wrong - my sympathy, since we all love our fresh basil, don't we?

I am struggling with mole tunnels everywhere this year, and I'm tempted to try those ultrasonic stakes that bother them so much - but each one is $30! The moles are everywhere, so this could mean some serious cash. Best of luck, Barb - and keep me posted.