All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Broccoli rabe with sweet peppers and rosemary







I had the most wonderful birthday on Monday,  filled with a shower of birthday phone calls, two visits from my grandchildren and my daughter and daughter-in-law, flowers, and a birthday breakfast coffeecake that was sweet, sweet, sweet.  It was glorious.

And that night, I made a batch of this broccoli rabe ( also known as rapini) and sweet peppers and ate two platefuls.  I've been trying not to eat sweets, so cake-for-breakfast left me feeling like I was jumping on a trampoline.  I was surprised, and next time I'll remember not to eat quite so big a piece of cake.



Broccoli Rabe with sweet peppers

Half a bunch of broccoli rabe, washed and trimmed at the stem ends
4 large, firm orange or red peppers, washed and sliced into strips
3 large cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (I have two huge pots of rosemary in the kitchen)
kosher salt
freshly cracked pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Pour about 1 1/2 inches of water in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Add the pepper slices, garlic cloves, and rosemary to the pot and simmer 5-10 minutes.
With a large knife, slice the broccoli rabe crosswise into two inch pieces.

Add the broccoli rabe to the pepper, adding more water if needed to prevent scorching, cover the pot with a lid, and cook just until wilted.

Uncover and stir in the butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Izzie made me a card - don't you love her bunny slippers?  We spent an hour looking at  pictures of Paris on Pinterest - she is crazy about Paris!






7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Happy Birthday for Monday and all year:)Love the drawing..food ..tulips:)

katrina said...

Thanks, Nana! Ohhh, it's always so cold on my birthday, tucking into bed early with many cookbooks, I think.

diary of a tomato said...

And wishing you many more birthdays to come! My mother used to serve us cake for breakfast, reasoning that it wasn't very different from having a doughnut...

katrina said...

Thank you for your birthday cheer, Diary! I mostly have protein in the morning though sometimes I have leftovers - like this broccoli rabe dish, but very rarely straight carbs and sugar. Interesting how my daily diet has changed so much away lately.

Barb said...

I think birthday-cake-for-breakfast seems like the perfect way to start a birthday!

So happy you had a wonderful birthday celebration -a great way to start the coming year!

I love Izzie's drawing - too, too adorable. I'm Paris-crazy too (and I've never been but I want to go soooo badly!! I have a friend going this May (I'm happy for her but I am soooo jealous. Maybe someday.)

katrina said...

Oh, Barb - I had the most wonderful time visiting London and Paris a long, long time ago! I hope your dream will come true - and Izzie's as well. Both cities are full of magic and beauty, and history - it was really mind boggling , and I wish I'd taken more photographs. If you do get to go to Paris, I highly recommend reading David Leibovitz's blog, which has all kinds of tips for visiting Paris. My sister found it really helpful when she visited two years ago. I was with a native when I visited, so luckily he knew the ropes:) And I'm sure Izzie will get there soon and be appreciated by anyone who sees her there - who could ignore that kind of happy joie de vivre ?

Barb said...

Lucky you to get to see Paris with a native - that sounds like the perfect way to visit it.

Thank you for the tip about David Leibovitz's blog. I will check it out and I'm sure it will just make me want to go more, if that's even possible. I'll let you know.

Maybe Izzie and I could visit it together - do you think her mother would mind? :-). A happy little girl to share Paris with - that seems delightful to me!