All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, May 20, 2013

Fresh strawberry and rhubarb stir-in sauce











Oh, the pink of Spring!  Right now the pale pink magnolia trees are blooming, the hot pink azaleas, the rainbows of tulips,  and the rhubarb plants range from pale green stalks to rich, ruby red under the umbrellas of dark green leaves.

For a long time, I didn't eat rhubarb.  When I went to an organic farm school in Lake Placid as a boarder in 7th and 8th grades, rhubarb was on the menu endlessly.  When you grow your own food in a cold climate, you make use of what thrives, and that meant rhubarb.  Just cooked with a little honey, it was tart and tasty - for a while.  But it appeared as dessert and breakfast over and over.  And over.

So I avoided rhubarb for a long time, until recently.  The first fresh fruit in May is hard to not take advantage of!  But I no longer make it only rhubarb, but temper it with the sweetness of strawberries, no yet ready here, so I buy them from the store.  

Barely simmered with a little water, delicious local honey, and a spoonful of minced fresh ginger, it makes a wonderful topping for my Greek yogurt in the morning.  Roasted chicken with a dipping side of sauce for lunch.  Goat cheese on thick bread with a spoonful of this jam is a treat in the afternoon.  And rhubarb sauce on ice cream rounds out dessert.


Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce

First, wash the rhubarb and cut off the large leaves.  The leaves are toxic, so I usually toss them in the trash.  Slice into 1 to 2 inch pieces.  Trim and slice the strawberries into quarters.  Peel the ginger and mince.

2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 1/2 cups quartered strawberries
1/4 to 1/3 cup water 
3 heaping tablespoons local honey or more to taste
2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
pinch of sea salt

Place all into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Stir until the rhubarb falls apart , usually about 7-10 minutes.  Take care not to scorch the fruit - some fruits are juicier than others.  If it looks dry, just add a little more water.  Set aside to cool.  Store in fridge.  This makes about 3+ cups of Springalicious sauce.






A year ago:  chilled chive and parsnip soup

6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

See ,I love strawberry and rhubarb together,,better than stand alone:)

This looks so good and white and pink ..just so appetizing together!

katrina said...

I agree, as you see, Nana - adding the ginger and strawberries makes it much more delicious.
Pink and white and green remind me of you and your glorious photos! Thanks!

diary of a tomato said...

Ginger with strawberries and rhubarb, of course! Now if only our rhubarb were ready for harvesting...

Farmgirl Susan said...

This sounds marvelous, Kat. After 18 years, I finally got around to buying some rhubarb plants this spring. Nothing slow about me. They're looking a little peaked, but I have high hopes. And maybe next year I'll finally put in a new strawberry bed. :)

Loved hearing about your rhubarb-filled boarding school days - and I love the word springalicious! xoxo

katrina said...

Oh, Debra - so hard to wait! I'm not beyond begging from neighbors, who thankfully decided they don't REALLY want ten pounds of rhubarb.

katrina said...

Fig (aka Susan) - congratulations! I recall from that wonderful farm school that rhubarb loves compost - good luck!