All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

crunchy oats, coconut and cornmeal cookies








Last week, a friend handed me an undistinguished cookie - it's the sort of cookie one would have made on a commune in the old days: very healthy and hard to chew. After a few bites it grew on me, a hint of coconut, oats and a nugget of chocolate that seemed to be out of place with the coconut. Finally last night I had a chance to fiddle with recipes and bake up a few batches.

Normally, I like a fat, soft cookie, but this one will grow on you, I promise! I tried it with raisins (so-so) and plain, and clearly the plain was best. I made both large and small cookies, and both were good, though the small ones were a little crunchier. They're sturdy and a delightful snack cookie, perhaps alongside bananas and cream or sliced strawberries.

This recipe made 9 large cookies or 25 small cookies.



Preheat oven to 350F.
Fit two baking sheets with foil.

Toast 1/2 cup flaked coconut in a toaster oven until just slightly brown.
Cool and set aside

1 stick softened unsalted butter ( 8 T.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 extra large egg
1/2 t. vanilla
1 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup rolled oats
The 1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder

~

Cream the butter and sugars well. Add the egg and vanilla and mix briefly.

In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients ( along with the coconut) together, then mix into the butter/sugar mixture slowly.

Using a small or large ice cream scoop, scoop cookie batter onto baking sheets.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, baking the large cookies for 26 minutes or until golden , and the smaller ones for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove cookies to a cooling rack, and bake the next batch . They will firm even more as they cool.

~

Out to the garden ( with a cookie) to admire all my new herb plants - I hope your day is fabulous!



8 comments:

katrina said...

It happened again! Sharing these cookies, folks looked dubious. A minute after biting in, it was "Ohhhh, this is goood!"

Barb said...

Honestly, Katrina, I don't think I've ever had a cookie I didn't like! (What does that say about me???) I'm going to have to give these a try sometime soon - into the cookie recipe rotation these shall go!!

thanks!

katrina said...

I remember that about you, Barb:) Today brought two more comments from happy recipients of these "plain janes", as I've taken to calling them. Got to make some more for tomorrow, clearly!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina! Happy Mother's Day to you!

katrina said...

Happy Mama's Day to you , too, anon! (I have no idea who you are, but I thank you for the sentiment:)

kellypea said...

I completely understand the whole "growing on you" thing with cookies like this. They sound quite tasty, actually. I love coconut and alway enjoy the flavor in anything. Happy, happy Mother's Day to you, Katrina! Hope it is a lovely day for you, and that you enjoy the warmest memories of your mother.

katrina said...

Thanks, Kelly - and a Happy, Happy Mother's Day to you as well! The funny thing about these cookies is that you don't immediately realize there's coconut in them. I picked it up in that crunchy cookie I tasted, but most people probably wouldn't , as it was so subtle. Sometimes, subtle is wonderful.

katrina said...

Here is an update from 2016 - one of my grandsons (the 3 year old) insisted on making these yesterday - big hit! Fun to bake with the littles....