All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, October 2, 2010

chunky oats with fresh apples, cinnamon, and honey





What a wild two days it's been! Sheets of rain ( which we needed badly), chilly temperatures, and several hot baths and showers after getting soaked over and over. This morning, the air is clean and clear, the sun is shining, and the storm has left a carpet of russet and yellow leaves on the soggy ground.
This cool, clear morning brings back a lot of memories of this time of year with my children. Taking my daughter to the 7 o 'clock bus, still barely light. Hauling buckets of water down the hill to the horse in the fresh autumn air. Soccer games after school, when the weather could be anything from summerlike to sleet; picking apples at our local orchard. The mad search for mittens and hats, sweaters and parkas.
This time of year I often made this hearty oatmeal for my children, hoping to fill them up and keep them warm ( and healthy), and this morning I made it for myself, for all the same reasons. Finding the nuggets of slightly soft, warm apples in the buttered and sugared oats somehow makes the morning memorable. I measure a large (very large!) dollop of local honey into my spoon, and tip it on top of the oats, licking the spoon clean. Enjoy the season!
To make:
2 medium apples, peeled and cored, cut into chunks
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
2 T. cinnamon sugar (a little cinnamon stirred into sugar)
2 t. butter
1/8 t. kosher salt
Place the water, salt, cinnamon sugar, butter, and apples in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the oats, turn down the heat, and cook on medium low, for about ten minutes. Take off the heat and cover until ready to serve.
Serve with maple syrup , honey, or more cinnamon sugar.

4 comments:

Barb said...

That photo of oatmeal looks so pretty, but...I'm just not a fan of oatmeal (I think it's a texture thing. I'd say it reminds me of wallpaper paste, but I haven't eaten that either.) However, if there was ever a bowl of oatmeal that really looked and sounds delicious - yours would be it!

katrina said...

Oh, I understand about the texture thing, Barb! I have that same problem with a few things, myself. But happy to say this isn't a bit like paste, although I have had some bowls of oatmeal that were - ick! It was very kind of you to stop by anyway - thanks!

Cat said...

Katrina - I've been a reader of your blog for ages and while I've tried a few of your recipes in the past (with success!), this is the first time I've felt compelled to comment. I am typcially not a huge fan of oatmeal due to the texture. I do eat it on occasion though and when I read this recipe, felt I just had to try it. OMG - it is SOOOO good! I was excited to be able to make it with apples off our trees and honey from our bees, too. The apples really make the texture so much better than plain oatmeal. Delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing this - I anticipate making it quite a lot this winter!

katrina said...

Hi Cat! This is very odd - I wrote back to you, but my comments seem to have vanished, so I'll say it again.
How delightful to have your very own honey and apples from your farm! I'm sure they make this humble bowl of oats even more delicious, and I'm delighted you're convinced oatmeal CAN be a treat. Thank you so much for your feedback!