All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, June 12, 2010

brown sugar blueberry muffins


It was another rainy day and I was finally, finally cleaning out the freezer. Way in the back I pulled out a zip bag filled with plump blueberries and a scattering of blackberries. My eyes lit up and I remembered a recipe a foodie friend had told me about with a slight twist to my usual low fat blueberry muffins: brown sugar blueberry muffins.
~
She had gotten the recipe from a friend, who told her it came from an old edition of The Joy of Cooking. It sounded intriguing, so I gave it a try. The muffins were moist, but fluffy and very tender. The next time I make them, I might switch out the melted butter for canola oil, but the brown sugar definitely stays.
~
To make:
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1 T. flour
1 t. sugar
Toss the blueberries with the flour and sugar and set aside.
~
2 cups King Arthur flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 extra large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 c. packed brown sugar ( I used dark)
1 stick ( 8 T.) melted, unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla
extra sugar or sparkling sugar for sprinkling on top
~
Grease a Texas size muffin pan ( this makes 6 muffins)
Preheat oven to 375F.
~

In mixer bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt well.
Add the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and mix again.
Fold in the floured blueberries with a spoon until well blended.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop two scoops of batter into each muffin cup.
Sprinkle with sugar and place in hot oven.
Bake for about 35 minutes, or until muffin centers are firm when gently pressed in the center. If you use fresh berries, they will bake a little faster, so check them around 25 minutes.
Cool on cooling rack for 15 minutes , then pop out of muffin tin.
~
Enjoy!

No comments: