All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

carrot & ginger soup (potage carottes) - and the top 10



It wasn't that I ate a lot of rich food this holiday - it's just that I was making ginger stars and anise cookies , and the cinnamon roasted walnuts every day, it seems. There were always leftovers, and I couldn't resist nibbling.
So last night I was happy to make this light, but rich creamy carrot soup - no cream, no butter, just the warm bloom of fresh ginger and the earthy smoothness of fresh carrots. Served with a quick olive and rosemary focaccia, it was a perfect supper.
Carrot and fresh ginger soup:
Serves about three.
2 cups water
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 t. thyme
1 1/2 cups organic carrots, peeled and sliced
1 stalk celery, washed and sliced
1 heaping T. peeled, diced fresh ginger root
salt and pepper
1/2 t. dill
In a saucepan, bring the stock, water, thyme, carrots , ginger and celery to a simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Remove from heat and puree, using an immersion blender or regular blender.  You may have to add an extra cup or more of water or stock if the soup is too thick.  It should be very smooth and well colored.
Stir in the dill, and taste carefully before adding salt and pepper.

(Drum roll, please) - here are the top ten posts of 2009!
Featured on TasteSpotting!

6 comments:

Martha said...

I make something similar and I love it -- your picture is fab! Yes, it seems after Christmas I crave simple soups like this one -- both for lunch AND dinner!

katrina said...

Thanks, Martha! There isn't anything quite as delicious as that smooth ginger-buzz, is there? Amazing in this cold weather - warms you right up!
And that curly rosemary is only at the tips of my enormous plant - all the new growth is like that - funny, isn't it?

La Table De Nana said...

The photos are delicious..I love this kind of food..Fun looking at your top 10..:) I think it's Leek soup though:) I make sooo many typos..if you start telling me mine..we will run out of letters:) I just thought you would smile..cause who is Lee?:)

Happy New Year!!

katrina said...

Thank you for finding that typo, Nana! It is usually because I'm either racing off, or the office is so, so cold in the morning. This morning it was BOTH!

Kate said...

Happy, happy New Year, Katrina!
Looking forward to reading your blog, loving the photos and trying some great recipes.
Thank you for 2009!

katrina said...

Thank you soooo much, Kate! It's been fun , and I admit, sometimes a challenge, to post for almost three years (!) , without really knowing who's out there reading.
What always gets me going is this crazy passion for cooking and good food....
Happy, happy 2010 to you as well!