All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, February 1, 2009

candy cane marshmallows






I have been staring at this glass of candy canes since Christmas. It sits over the sink, so I'm reminded several times a day to DO something with them - no cook likes to waste something as pretty as candy canes.
Pink has been on my mind the last few days - wrapping birthday presents for a 3 year old in large amounts of pink tissue ( her favorite color) . Last night I suddenly thought: pink, marshmallow, pink, marshmallows - OH - PINK MARSHMALLOWS! It only used up three candy canes, though, so I still need to find another recipe for candy canes.
This is adapted from Tyler Florence.
1 1/2 packets powdered Knox gelatin
1 cup cold water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 extra large egg white
1 cup confectioners" sugar
3 candy canes, broken up, then pulverized in a food processor.
In a small saucepan, soak the gelatin in the cold water - about 5 or 6 minutes. Stir. Add the granulated sugar and warm until the sugar has dissolved. Cool.
Prepare a pan - I used a square brownie/cake pan 8"x8". Grease pan, line with wax paper, and grease wax paper.
Beat the egg white until stiff. Beat in the cup of confectioner's sugar , then slowly pour in the cooled gelatin mixture. Beat until the mixture doubles in size and forms ribbons in the batter. Add the pulverized candy canes and beat another 15 or so minutes. (You need to have a stand mixture for this, obviously - beating time runs about 25 minutes)
Dust the pan with confectioners' sugar lightly, then pour in the marshmallow batter. Let sit for at least 3 hours or overnight, uncovered.
Gently remove marshmallow ( now wobbly, but firm) and pull away the wax paper on the sides. Using a clean knife, cut marshmallows into cubes or whatever shape you wish. If you use cookie cutters, try spraying them with Pam , or another spray cooking oil. If the knife gets sticky, simply rinse it.
Using a sieve, sprinkle confectioners' sugar on tops of marshmallows and serve in hot milk or hot chocolate with a candy cane.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina~ Happy Feb. 1 and Happy Super Bowl Day (if you're a football fan). These marshmallows are so pretty - what a beautiful color!! I've never made 'homemade' marshmallows, but seeing these makes me think I should give them a try.

On the weather front - it is about 41 degrees right now (12:15pm) blue sky and a huge bright light in the sky (which I believe is The Sun!! It's been so long since we've seen it!!) With the wind, it is a bit cooler feeling than 41, but it still is wonderful!!! I hope some of this heads your way. (It's supposed to be only about 30 tomorrow and cooler for the week - but I'll think about that tomorrow!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! I almost never watch football - the few times I did watch, I didn't understand why everyone is so crazy about it - guys tackling each other?

Just looked at the forecast and it's looking warmer , but snow again *sigh*

I just got back from a very pink birthday party - sparkly shoes, ballet tutus, tiaras - in short, everything a 3 year old girl could desire! And these marshmallows will always remind me of the delight of being a 3 year old Princess/Dancer/Fairy......