All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, November 1, 2008

where'd these gougeres come from?



I swear, I didn't really mean to make these today, even though there was a chunk of asiago cheese staring at me everytime I opened the fridge.
But in my frustrations with staring at paint chips, I drifted into the kitchen and - just like that, here were these heavenly cheesy puffs, still warm from the oven, being popped into my mouth.
Somewhere between the Balboa Mist and the Olivetint I went straight into the kitchen to mix up some gougeres to stave off the chill in the air today.
This recipe makes about 2 dozen small gougeres .
To make:
Preheat oven to 400F.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 stick or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
pinch cayenne pepper
a few twists of black pepper
1/4 t. salt
1 cup King Arthur flour
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups grated Asiago cheese
2 baking sheets, lined with parchment or foil
In saucepan, heat milk, water, and butter until simmering. On medium heat, add the flour, salt , and peppers all at once and stir until it clumps together. Remove from heat and scrape dough into a mixer bowl.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each egg in completely before adding the next one. Add the grated cheese and mix in well.
Spoon dough into a medium-large pastry bag with a star or plain tip ( or just use two spoons to mold dough).
Make two quick circles, one on top of the other, for each puff. Space them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
Place into hot oven and bake for 20 minutes. The tops will be a little browned.
Let cool on pans, then remove to a cooling rack.
Great with everything, from soup to snack - or simply alone.
(These go beautifully with hot mushroom soup)

8 comments:

Martha said...

I love these but haven't made them in a while. Surprisingly, they always impress guests when I make them.

Martha

Anonymous said...

Martha, I'm convinced you can serve anything piped out of a pastry bag, and people will be impressed!
The fact that these are delicious comfort food is a bonus..

KAF Customer Service said...

I agree these look wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

MaryJane @ King Arthur Flour

Anonymous said...

OMG! So is pj actually MaryJane at my mothership - King Arthur flour? This is exciting! I'm so delighted you liked this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Wow Katrina! pjhamel wrote to your blog! That is about the coolest thing I can think of. I love/adore all things King Arthur and I love to read pj and the KA blog!

Personally, I think you have 'arrived' in blog-dom! I am so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Ta-Dah! Here I am - embarressed to not know her, Barb. I signed up for the bakers email and it never came, so I forgot. But King Arthur has always been my local hero ( the flour)...and I always try to specify it in my recipes.
Now, about that autograph....:)

The Caustic Critic said...

Thank you for these recipes!

I was wondering if you could be a little more specific about the freezing/reheating directions. (I am going to be laid up over Thanksgiving, and would like to make some of these ahead of time.) Could I mix these up, portion them, freeze, then thaw and bake? Or is it better to bake then freeze? Thanks for your help!

katrina said...

Caustic: I've never tried freezing the rolls or the gougeres unbaked, but if I try, I'll sure let you know asap. I simply place baked breads in a freezer zip bag, roll tightly to get as much air out as I can, then pop in a hot toaster oven or oven for maybe 5 minutes? I usually pull one out to make sure it's thawed and toasty.