All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, November 21, 2008

profiteroles with ginger ice cream and chocolate sauce





This is one of the desserts I'm making for Turkey Day, and what a delight! Delicate cream puffs filled with a creamy ginger ice cream from a local producer, Walpole Creamery, and a thick chocolate sauce. I know, I know - it's not pie - though it's possible a little pumpkin or apple pie might end up in this, since everyone will be assembling their own cream puffs.
For the profiteroles, I used Julia's recipe, since I'm pretty sure it's the same one I have scribbled - and lost - somewhere in my stack of clippings.
To make puffs:
1 1/2 cups water
9 T. unsalted butter
1/4 t. salt
2 t. sugar
1 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
5 large eggs, plus one for the egg wash. ( at room temperature)
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cover two baking sheets with parchment or foil.
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring water, butter, salt, and sugar to a boil. When the butter has melted, remove pan from heat and throw in the flour all at once. Furiously stir with a wooden spoon until the dough makes a ball. Plop into mixer bowl.
Using the paddle attachment, add the eggs, one at a time.
The dough will be sticky. Very sticky.
Spoon dough into a pastry bag ( or just use two spoons) and pipe out 3 circles of dough for each puff - one on top of the other. If you're using spoons, just measure out what looks right and drop onto baking sheet.
Mix up the egg wash by beating an egg in a small dish. Use a small pastry brush to dab the tops of the puffs so it will brown up a little as it bakes.
Place baking sheets in the upper and middle levels of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350, and bake another 10 minutes. The puffs should be golden and almost twice the size they were before baking.
Check the puffs to make sure they're golden and puffed. If all is well, turn off the oven and leave the puffs in the oven, with the oven door slightly open. This helps them to dry correctly.
While you're waiting, make the chocolate sauce:
1/2 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate chips, good quality
3 T. heavy cream
1 T. unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla or Grand Marnier
Place ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave a few minutes, until the chocolate is smooth and melted when you stir it.
To assemble:
You will need ice cream. I used ginger, which was awesome, but feel free to pick your own. Traditionally, vanilla is used.
Gently break the cream puffs in half, scoop the ball of ice cream on the bottom, cap it with the top of the profiterole, then drizzle chocolate sauce on.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Martha said...

A favorite but what a twist using them for Thanksgiving dessert -- love the idea of ginger ice cream!

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha!
This ginger ice cream is my absolute favorite from Walpole Creamery. I tasted it after apple picking in the Walpole, NH area and was hooked. It sparkles and tingles on the tongue. I should really learn to make ice cream so I can eat this year round!

Ana said...

I'm so bummed I'll miss out on this!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That sounds like you're not coming for Turkey Day - rats.
I've been tapped to make the famous carrot cake, but maybe I should sneak some of these in.....

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those look absolutely incredible. Just tried ginger ice cream for the first time a couple weeks ago - this sounds like a great combo!

Anonymous said...

Jenn - your website certainly seems to cover everything ice cream! I don't know where you are, but Walpole Creamery in Walpole, NH makes the best ginger ice cream. The only thing I would wish for is chunks of crystallized ginger in it - but otherwise, it's perfect. And yes, ginger and chocolate are a great combination!

Anonymous said...

I'd really like to be at your Thanksgiving table this year - that dessert looks heavenly! Your lucky, lucky guests are in for a very special treat.

(Oh, and what else is on the menu, as if it matters knowing what's for dessert?)

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb -
Huge change this year - I'm not hosting Thanksgiving after a zillion years. So I have no idea - except I'm bringing desserts. And do you host, or simply enjoy the festive spread? I do hope lots of potatoes and turkey are involved - and gravy - love gravy!