All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

garlicky lamb burgers with parsley


Oh, did I wake up hungry today! And fresh in my mind was a post I had read from Susan of Farmgirl Fare ( which you can read here : http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2007/11/book-review-cooking-with-shelburne.html) - describing a lamb burger she had made bursting with parsley, garlic, red pepper, and black pepper. On top she made a relish composed of olives, more parsley, and roasted red peppers.
All ideas of following her recipe flew to the winds - the market had no ground lamb, only a small piece of nearly fatfree lamb I would have to chop in the processor. And I only had a few olives - well, you understand. So wing it I did, and it was incredibly good, even if I didn't follow her recipe!
To make 2 burgers:
3/4 pound ground lamb
1/2 cup finely minced parsley, done in the food processor, along with
2 cloves garlic, and a few kalamata olives
fresh cracked pepper
several dashes of hot sauce or red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 or 2 large pieces of jarred roasted red peppers
If you're chopping your own piece of lamb, do the garlic and parsley before you do the lamb.
Place parsley and garlic in food processor and pulse. Scrape into a bowl.
Cut lamb into small cubes ( if you don't have already ground) and pulse BRIEFLY until chopped.
Mix the lamb, garlic, parsley, and salt and peppers together. Pour some olive oil in a skillet and place burgers in the skillet, along with the pieces of red pepper.
Cook until done ( I like mine rare), serve burger with sliced red pepper on top.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can never resist lamb burgers. So I'm curious that this version doesn't have any bread or bread crumbs in it like so many other recipes. So the burger texture isn't too dense without it?

Anonymous said...

Carolyn - I just followed Farmgirl's recipe, which was from a cookbook she reviewed. No bread or crumbs mentioned - and, as I used the Cusinart, the lamb steak (with no fat on it )was light and fluffy when processed. As a matter of fact, I had to add olive oil and butter to moisten it. The burger was juicy ( thanks to the added fats), not especially strong, as lamb can be - excellent burger without the beef aftertaste when I grill or fry hamburger.