All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, October 11, 2008

cranberry-oatmeal scones


One night I was re-reading my son's "Martin the Warrior" book, one of the thumpingly good adventure tales written by Brian Jacques. On page 127, we hear a conversation between Rose ( a mousemaid), and Grumm ( a mole), on the run from pirates:
"Grumm massaged his ample stomach as it gurgled plaintively. "Hurr,"scuse oi, moi tummy's a-thicken moi mouth 'as forgotted 'ow to eat."
Rose propped herself up on two paws. "What I wouldn't give for a plain ordinary oatmeal scone spread with honey right now."
After reading that, my stomach gurgled and sent me straight to the kitchen to come up with these oatmeal scones with dried cranberries and drizzled with honey. The oatmeal flour makes them amazingly tender.
*to make oatmeal flour, simply whiz rolled oats in a blender until finely ground


Preheat oven to 350F.
1 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
1/2 cup oatmeal flour
1/4 cup sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted, cold butter, cut in pieces
2 t. baking powder
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup dried cranberries
honey for drizzling
egg wash (optional)
Mix flours, sugar, butter and baking powder in mixer bowl until mixture resembles cornmeal and butter is incorporated.
Add buttermilk and cranberries and mix again until dough comes together.
Pat dough into a ball and roll out into an 8" or 9" circle.
Cut circle in half, then cut each half two more times, giving you 3 scones for each half.
Arrange the scone triangles on a baking sheet fitted with foil or parchment. Brush with beaten egg if desired.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Drizzle honey on the scones while still warm.
Serve with warm cider and a cinnamon stick.

4 comments:

Maris said...

These sound so delicious! If I don't have a food processor could I substitute whole wheat flour for oatmeal? I can't tell if that would defeat the purpose of the recipe or not :) But I like all things scone.

Anonymous said...

What a cute book! I'd like to read it too, especially while enjoying a cranberry-oatmeal scone! Yum! I gotta start baking one of these days.

Hope you had a beautiful weekend in NH! It was great here in s.e. MI and supposed to be 83 today! (crazy weather for middle of October!)

Anonymous said...

hummm, maris - I don't think whole wheat and oat flour are interchangeable. Do you have a blender? That's what I use for making the oat flour - just whizz it for a minute.
If you like scones - try my apricot with crystalized ginger chunks on this blog - oh, so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Barb - I'll take beautiful weather whenever I can find it! I figure this is our gift for that month and a half of rain this summer....

And I'm sure you'd love these books if you're feeling in an adventurous, whimsical mood!